Are you in?

It's not easy to be a girlfriend.

I don't mean in a relationship, boyfriend-girlfriend. Not that kind of girlfriend. I mean, being a girlfriend to your girl friend, being part of a sisterhood. Its like how bros have the bro code i guess, we have our rules too, certain things that are just expected of you, as a sister, as a girlfriend. And its not easy, we all know that. But you choose your sides, you choose the side you bias with.

You weigh the importance of each person in your life and you take your pick. Which side are you on? If you dont choose a side, you're outed from the group, there's no place for you here. Oh, we'll smile, we'll wave, we'll exchange pleasantries alright, but who are you to me? You don't belong here. Harsh, isn't it? But you need to pick a side, we need to know you're on our side, that if things go bad, if things go sour, you'll be there with us, sticking with us through thick and thin. You cant trust someone or fully let someone in when you know they're sitting on the fence, when they're being indecisive.

And if you ever felt like you dont belong in a group, that no one was willing to take you in, you know exactly why. This is the reason why. It is so much easier to be friends with boys, isnt it? Less complications, less bitchy-ness, less implicit expectations. I like to believe that because I understand how difficult it is to be a girlfriend, how unfair it can be, that I can be the exception and not stick to the rules, not push someone out from my circle of trust just because. But I can't shake the feeling off, and expectations, i have expectations, and this - this is bothering me.

You pick a side.

And if you can't or you won't, you better damn well have a good explanation. But you don't. So I'll help you with that decision. It really is harsh. I know. But this is a girl's bitchyness down in words. Sit down. ponder. reflect.

Have you ever let your girlfriend down?

0 comments: